Italian Wedding Traditions
5 Things for Good Luck
Italian tradition calls for the bride to have five things with her on her wedding day (that’s one more than Anglo-Saxon tradition):
- Something old: symbolizing the life she is leaving behind and the importance of the past, which must not be forgotten in the transition to her new life.
- Something new: symbolizing the new life that is about to begin and representing new goals and changes
- Something borrowed: representing the love of the people dear to her, who will be by her side as she moves from her old life to her new one.
- Something blue: Symbolizing purity; in ancient times blue was the color of purity as well as the color of wedding gowns!
- Something she has received as a gift: this is to remind her of the people she loves.